I’ve always been huge on lip care! I could never take it when my lips were even the slightest bit dry or chapped, especially because I’ve been a lipstick addict most of my life. I do a lot of lip swatches every month and let me tell you, if your lips aren’t in good shape, boy will your macro shots let you know! To keep my lips in the best possible shape not just for my blog, but for me, I put a lot of effort into treating them right. With summer practically here and many of you breaking out the glosses and bright lippies, I thought it might be helpful to share some of my top tips for my keeping my lips smooth and hydrated!
1. Moisturize the heck out of them! – No matter what you’re doing or where you’re going, slather on those moisturizing balms. One of the best ways to deal with cracked, peeling lips is to never allow them to get that way in the first place. I tend to like super thick, moisturizing balms that coat my lips and last for quite a while before absorbing all the way. I keep fistfuls of balms in my handbags—it probably looks nutty, but it gets the job done!
2. Gently exfoliate regularly – While you don’t want to rub those babies raw every day, gently exfoliating your lips a few times a week can slough off any dead or dry skin and keep them supple and baby-bottom smooth. I usually either DIY it with some organic coconut oil and granulated raw sugar or I use my favorite premade lip scrub—LUSH’s Mint Julips lip scrub. Works great, tastes great … try it! I tend to keep at least 3-4 jars on-hand at a time, it’s that good.
3. Hydrate lips prior to applying lippies – Even if my lips are in good shape, I find they’re very sensitive to lip products that are even the least bit drying. To give them a little extra hydrating oomph, I apply a nice balm prior to putting on my makeup, giving it time to absorb in before I put my lips on at the end. Make sure to gently wipe off super thick balms prior to applying liner and lipsticks as they can cause lippies to slide around rather than adhere to lips.
4. Rehydrate lips while wearing lippies – If you’ve prepped and applied your lipstick well it should last a decent amount of time, but that doesn’t mean lips are going to be overly happy about it! My lips tend to get dry after 1-2 hours of lipstick wear and since I don’t want to remove perfectly intact lipstick just to slather on some balm and then reapply my lips, I find it really helpful to pat a hydrating, but thin balm over my already done up lips to give them a little moisture. Balms like the ones produced by EOS are hydrating enough to absorb through my lippies into my lips, but not so thick they break down my lipstick. Remember! Pat, don’t swipe.
5. Establish a night time lip ritual – I apply a super, super thick lip balm every night. Something similar to Alba’s un-petroleum jelly or Bag Balm. I actually find I can’t sleep unless I do! That extra push of hydration absorbing throughout the night really keeps my lips in great shape year round—whether it’s insanely hot or cold; humid or dry.
That’s pretty much it! My top 5 tips for keeping lips smooth and luscious 24/7.
What about you? Do you find it difficult to keep your lips in good shape year round? What are some of your favorite lip moisturizing or exfoliating products?